Thursday, September 17, 2009

How it all came to be...

I loved the experience of blogging about our 1971 VW Westfalia's restoration and trips at http://coast2coastblog.blogspot.com/. So much in fact, I decided to blog on our next project: building a country home on a 5 acre wooded lot.

I bought the lot in 2001 soon after I graduated from University. Finding it was a mixture of determination and pure luck. I decided to look at local maps and set out on nearby dead ends and dirt roads looking for lots for sale. I knew what I wanted: minimum 5 acre of forest. Somewhere quiet but close to my family. Dry land with good water...a good place to build a nice cozy country-cottage type home.

Weeks went by and no luck. One afternoon, I was driving down a small dirt road, a bit dissapointed that I wasn't seeing "for sale" signs anywhere when a gorgeous doberman (at the time I thought it was a great dane) ran onto the street, forcing me to come to a complete stop. To my right was a tiny for sale sign, almost faded by the last rainfall. I looked at the trees beyond the sign and immediately got goose bumps. It was BEAUTIFUL.

I put the car in park, walked out..greeted the very friendly doberman and jotted the number down. A few phone calls and some legal stuff later, I was the proud owner of the property.

It's been 8 years now, and I still feel like the luckiest girl alive to have been at the right place at the right time to find this gem.

Eight years went by quickly. My parents helped me clear and burn the brush in the first few years. After that,I visited often. Sometimes to just have a picnic, sometimes to go for a walk, but always to daydream of the day I'd eventually build there.

And now the time has come. I couldn't be happier :)

I hope you enjoy reading our newest blog, and learn with us as we set on this owner-builder adventure.

Be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment